Director of Campaigns and OutreachLondon (Central), London (Greater)
United StatesPrimary Contact : REGENT SELECTION LTD
This position is geared to experienced professionals with at least 6 years of experience in a senior leadership role within an organization and 8 years experience as a supervisor. The successful candidate will play a senior role leading the Campaigns Team and serve on the organization’s Senior Leadership Council. Responsibilities will include leading strategies and tactics to move a policy agenda, including catalyzing and leading partnerships and joint campaigns with a range of local, state and federal allies, as well as with elected officials. We are especially seeking candidates who have been recognized as leaders in their previous fields of work and have a strong movement-building orientation.
The successful candidates will join a Campaigns Team that places a high value on diversity, rigor and fun and is committed to distributed leadership. This position reports to our Vice President of Policy and Strategic Partnerships.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- With the guidance of the Vice President of Policy and Strategic Partnerships, set and achieve annual goals for Demos’ campaigns and strategic partnerships;
- Spearhead partnership management, including operationalizing partnerships to advance and develop collaborative programs;
- Provide senior-level leadership to Demos’ Campaigns Team: recruit, train, and supervise members of the Campaigns Team, including supervising other senior staff;
- Help set Demos’ annual policy goals and legislative targets;
- Supervise and draft content for policy advocacy materials, such as policy briefs and testimonies;
- In addition to managing campaign staff, lead your own portfolio of campaigns and advocacy goals;
- Contribute to fundraising by drafting grant proposals and reports; maintaining relationships with funders, and working collaboratively with our development team;
- Work closely with the Communications Department to develop communications plans to reach our campaign and advocacy goals, including working across teams to manage rapid response strategic communications at key campaign moments, and work collaboratively with communications staff on long-term communications plans for our campaign and partnership work;
- Other responsibilities as requested.
The successful candidate must demonstrate the following experience and skills:
- Leading on racial equity: You have a sophisticated understanding of how racialized dynamics impact supervisory relationships, organizational culture, partnerships, campaigns and coalition work, and can demonstrate a history of successfully intervening in problematic dynamics and deepening a racial justice approach within an organization, team, or campaign.
- Proven success as a long-term supervisor: You bring more than 6 years of experience (or the equivalent management expertise) as a supervisor, and have experience managing teams with diverse skill-sets in a campaign oriented, advocacy environment. You have demonstrated success with professional development, including with mid and senior level staff, and are skilled with giving regular, developmental feedback.
- Proven success as a campaign or partnerships manager: You command trust and authority from external and internal stakeholders and, through honest brokering, add value to coalitions. You have a history of building alignment based on values and long-term vision that has resulted in expanding a set of stakeholders and partners, and advancing campaigns. You meet people where they are and win people to your point of view, when needed.
- Systems thinker with attention to detail, high standards for work products and for relationship management: You like setting ambitious goals, and bring rigor to your work and management.
- Facilitation and training experience: You are a dynamic facilitator with the ability to build and move a diverse group through a process; you can motivate action, and have experience training organizers or advocates on policy issues or best practices for campaigning.
- Ability to quickly gain deep issue fluency: You have a demonstrated ability to quickly gain fluency in new policy areas.
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced environment and manage workflow across teams and departments: You prioritize and switch gears quickly between the multiple projects on your plate. You successfully plan and coordinate workflow across teams, consistently meet deadlines and motivate others to do the same. You are comfortable designing and directing others to use project management systems that include Google docs and/or other online workflow management tools.
The most competitive candidates will demonstrate several of the following skills and experiences:
- Experienced movement-builder: Your previous work includes conceptualizing, building and playing a leadership role in transformative organizing campaigns, field expansion efforts, and/or collaborations designed to make strategic interventions in a field or sector.
- Compelling public speaker: You have a track record of compellingly representing organizations in multiple forums, including delivering legislative testimony, speaking with the media, and presenting on public-facing panels.
- Well-networked and deep connections across the progressive and social justice movement(s): You have a strong set of relationships within the progressive movement, ideally including both national and state-based policy, advocacy and grassroots organizing groups and networks.
- Issue fluency in our core issues: Experience and expertise with at least one of Dēmos’ core issues: democracy reform (campaign finance and voting rights) or economic opportunity (college affordability, economic opportunity and/or workers’ rights).
- Successful experience with fundraising and maintaining relationships with funders: You have written materials for funders and successfully engaged funders as collaborators in programmatic work and discrete projects.
- Bilingual and/or bicultural: You bring bilingual language skills and or bicultural fluency into your work.
- Familiarity with the following workflow and relationship management tools: DARCIs or MOCHAs; Base Camp, Evernote, Sales Force; and an interest in detail oriented systems.
- Great sense of humor: While bringing rigor and high-standards, you compliment that with a great sense of humor and an ability to encourage fun and laughter in a team environment.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary for this position is competitive for our sector with a range that depends on experience. We have a generous benefits package, including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 10 paid holidays, 20 vacation days per year, 9 sick days per year, and the opportunity to contribute to a 403b plan.
How to Apply:
Send a thoughtful cover letter that speaks to how your experience and skill-set meet the qualifications for this role and attach a résumé. Please upload materials at:http://demos.hiringthing.com. We are looking for an immediate hire so applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Dēmos is an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.